Car Accident Attorney Advice: What to Do After a Collision
Car accidents are very scary experiences, especially if you’ve never been involved in one before. It’s natural to wonder what you should do in the event of an accident and there’s no reason you shouldn’t do the research to prepare yourself if it ever happens.
Our car accident attorney here at Tolbert Beadle highly suggests printing this article or taking notes and keeping them in your glove box, in case you are involved in an accident.
After Collision Advice
- Stay calm. The worst thing you can do after an accident is panic. Simply take a deep breath, check yourself to make sure you do not have any life-threatening injuries and stay calm.
- Wait at the scene of the accident and call the police. It’s never okay to just leave the scene of an accident, and if you are at-fault, you could face criminal charges. Any experienced car accident attorney will tell you that it’s very important to wait at the scene until the police arrive to file a police report. You will also want to make a note of the responding officer’s name.
- Get contact information from others involved. Make sure to get the names, phone numbers, and addresses of others involved in the accident before leaving the scene. Our car accident attorney also advises talking to any eyewitnesses, if there are any, to help determine who is at fault and if the location is a common place for accidents to occur.
- Take photos. You will want to take pictures of the damages done to your car, the accident scene, the area surrounding it, and the damage done to any other vehicles. This may be important proof to have down the road.
- Inform your insurance agency. Call your insurance agency as soon as you can to let them know what happened. Our car accident attorney strongly suggests being honest with them about everything. Do not lie or mislead them. On the other hand, if another insurance agency calls you to question you about the incident, ask them to call your attorney to set up an interview. Do not answer any questions on your own.
- Keep records of your medical care. If you went to the doctor to be treated for injuries that were a result of the accident, keep thorough records of your expenses and care. Those records may be important details for your attorney to have.
- Hire a car accident attorney. If you were injured in the accident, you should consider hiring an experienced car accident attorney. An attorney can protect you from other insurance companies that may try to take advantage of you or offer an unfair settlement.
Schedule Your Consultation with a Car Accident Attorney Today
If you’ve been involved in an accident, an aggressive car accident attorney can help make sure your rights are protected. Contact Tolbert Beadle today to schedule your free consultation with an attorney.