Drive Safely in Big Cities: Tips from an Auto Accident Lawyer
Driving in large metropolitan areas can be a challenging endeavor for a number of reasons. First of all, there are endless distractions from all directions. Cars honking, delivery trucks beeping, people yelling … it’s never-ending.
Second, large cities tend to have more pedestrians. Whether they’re crossing the street at a crosswalk, biking in the bike lane or jaywalking, being aware of the pedestrians near your vehicle at all times can be difficult.
Third, the streets are typically much busier, making traffic jams much more likely. Unfortunately, this can lead to more accidents. Stop-and-go traffic can be hard to navigate, and many drivers find themselves in fender benders because they follow too closely or fail to brake in time.
Regardless of which big city you find yourself driving in, there are a few things you can do to minimize your risk of an accident and needing to call an auto accident lawyer.
Here are a few simple tips from an experienced auto accident lawyer.
- Avoid driving during rush hour. If you live in a big city, this is common sense. But if you are not accustomed to the heavy traffic that inevitably fills the highways and city streets between the hours of 7 a.m. to 9 a.m. and 4 p.m to 6 p.m., you may be in for a surprise. By avoiding driving during these peak hours, you’ll minimize your chances of getting in a car crash and save yourself a lot of frustration and road rage while you’re at it.
- Always be on the lookout for pedestrians. Large cities typically have more people and more crosswalks. While driving through the city streets, our auto accident lawyer advises that you keep your eyes peeled for these crosswalks and make sure to stop in time to give pedestrians appropriate space to cross the street.
- Use public transportation whenever possible. Often times, driving somewhere in a large city can take longer and be much more expensive when you factor in your parking fees. An auto accident lawyer would advise that using public transportation such as buses or trains can keep your expenses low and reduce your likelihood of getting into a car accident.
- Put the phone down. Although any auto accident lawyer will remind you that it’s never a good idea to text and drive (or use your phone at all while operating a vehicle), doing so in the midst of driving through a big city is a major mistake. If you must use your phone for navigation, ask a friend or family member to sit up front with you and navigate. This will reduce stress and help you keep your eyes on the road.
- Stay in the right lane. The right lane is meant for slower, more cautious drivers. If you are unfamiliar with city driving, it is wise to stay in the right lane whenever possible. City drivers who are used to the stop-and-go traffic and know their way around will most likely use the left lanes and drive a little bit faster. Don’t feel pressured to speed just because they are—abide by the speed limit, stay calm, and remain in the right lane.
Need an Auto Accident Lawyer?
Sometimes accidents just happen. Even if you drive cautiously and follow all the tips listed above, you may find yourself involved in a car accident. If this is the case, there is no reason to worry. Tolbert Beadle, LLC is in your corner. We are here to help you navigate the circumstances of your accident and make sure you get the fair treatment you deserve.
If you were in an accident while driving in a big city, contact or call Tolbert Beadle, LLC today. An experienced and aggressive auto accident lawyer is ready to fight for you.