Experiencing a slip and fall can devastate you, taking away your ability to work and function as normal. No one expects to be victim of a fall, and it’s unlikely that you have expected high medical bills and time off due to your injuries.
After a fall, you may be left trying to navigate a fight with the insurance companies on your own. You may be told that your case is not worthy of a settlement or that you do not deserve a reasonable sum of money. You might not know where to start with so many factors that could impact your case, leaving you feeling concerned and lost.
Are you unsure what to do after a slip and fall? We’ve assembled a brief guide for you to help you navigate your recovery.
When you are injured, your first priority should be to seek treatment. No matter how frustrating the accident itself may be, waiting to seek treatment can impact you in several serious ways:
- Waiting to receive treatment can worsen your injuries and cause more pain for you further down the road.
- Not receiving prompt treatment may lead the insurance company to doubt your claim, assuming that if it was severe enough you would have sought treatment immediately.
- It will help when determining the cost of your medical bills, which is important when asking for compensation.
When you are at the doctor, be sure to be clear and consistent when explaining your injuries. Don’t give the insurance company any reason to doubt your claim. For instance, if you have injured your arm and the pain is at a 10 on the pain scale, don’t downplay it to a 4. Don’t miss your follow-up appointments either — this can also be used as an example of your injuries not being as bad as you claim.
Document your accident
It’s important to keep a detailed record of everything that goes on after the accident. Depending on how long the case takes, you may find yourself forgetting minor details. It’s normal to forget things, but the insurance company will use this as an opportunity to poke holes in your story. If you remember anything new be sure to take note of it immediately.
You’ll have to answer many questions during your proceedings, including:
- Where exactly did you slip?
- How has the injury affected your life?
- What were your injuries and symptoms?
- Were you aware of the hazard?
- Was it reasonable for the property owner to be unaware of the hazard?
- Did you seek treatment immediately?
Contact a personal injury lawyer
After you’ve received care and documented what you can remember of your accident, you need to contact a lawyer immediately. Even if you are unsure that you can prove the accident was due to a lack of liability, personal injury attorneys often have experts who they can call upon to help with your case. You may feel as though you case does not warrant needing a personal injury lawyer, however, an attorney can help you to get a bigger settlement and a better sense of peace after an accident.
Do you need legal assistance while you recover from your slip and fall?
Contact Tolbert Beadle today. We will investigate your case tirelessly and work to ensure you receive the compensation you deserve.